Human Resources and Payroll



Benefits FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

Some questions often asked by Mason faculty and staff are listed below with answer links.

Just scroll through the topics and click on the link to find the information you need.

Not able to find the answer to your question? We are here to help, so please contact Human Resources & Payroll at 703.993.2600, Monday - Friday, 8:30 - 5:00, or email your question to, or visit our website at


I recently started contributing to the 403(b) account and elected TIAA. How do I set up my TIAA account and elect my investment funds?

How do I contact my retirement vendor?

I recently started contributing to the 403(b) account and elected Fidelity. How do I set up my Fidelity account and elect my investment funds?

How do I know what I am contributing to my 403b or 457?

How do I increase/decrease/stop my contributions to my 457 plan?

Can I increase what I am putting toward my ORP retirement account?

Can I increase what I am putting toward my VRS retirement account?

How do I increase/decrease/stop my contribution to my 403b?

Why is my 403(b) account not being matched by the employer even though I am making my voluntary contributions to my hybrid plan?

Health & Flex

I have a qualifying mid-year event. What are the steps I should take to add or remove my family member?

What documentation do I need to provide when adding a family member to my health insurance?

Why don’t I receive additional health insurance cards for my dependents?

How do I access my Flexible Spending Account?

What expenses are covered under the Medical Flexible Spending Account and which expenses are ineligible?

How do I add my newborn to my health insurance plan?

You have 60 days from the date of birth to add your newborn under the Qualifying Mid-year event rules. You must complete a new State Health Benefit Enrollment form and provide proof of birth. We will accept either a birth certificate or the birth letter that the hospital gives you as proof of birth. If you submit both the enrollment form and proof of birth within 60 days of the birth, we will go back to the 1st of the month during which the baby was born to start coverage. For instance, if the baby was born on July 20 and you submit the required documentation on August 31, we will begin coverage on July 1 for the newborn.

What is the age my child will no longer be eligible for coverage under my health insurance through GMU?

How many hours do I need to work at Mason to be eligible for shared health insurance benefits?

I am turning 65 but am still working. Do I need to enroll in Medicare even though I have health coverage with Mason?

Life Insurance

How do I know what kind of life insurance coverage I have?

Can I purchase additional life insurance coverage?

How do I know who I listed as a beneficiary for my life insurance?

Leaving Mason

What is going to happen to my health insurance when I separate?

I am leaving Mason and have questions about my benefits.

I'm a former employee who needs a financial document signed to allow a transfer.


It's tax time! How do I get my Form W-2?

Workers' Compensation

How do I file a Workers’ Compensation Claim?