TRICARE-eligible employees who are also eligible for the State Health Benefits Program and are in one of the following categories may voluntarily enroll in the supplement plan:
- Military retirees with 20 years of creditable military service and entitled to retired pay and their spouses/surviving spouses who are not eligible for Medicare.
- Retired Reservists and National Guardsmen between the ages of 60 and 65 with 20 years of creditable service and their spouses/surviving spouses who are not eligible for Medicare.
- Retired Reservists and National Guardsmen under age 60 and enrolled in TRICARE Retired Reserves (TRR) and their spouses/surviving spouses who are not eligible for Medicare.
- Military retirees and their spouses/surviving spouses who reside outside the U.S. or its territories (all who are eligible for Medicare must be enrolled in Medicare).
- Military retirees and their spouses/surviving spouses age 65 or older but ineligible for Medicare (all must have received a Statement of Disallowance from Social Security Administration).
Advantages of the TRICARE Supplement Plan:
- Available to all TRICARE participants regardless of rank or service
- No medical examination required for enrollment
- No pre-existing condition clause
- No supplement plan deductibles, but TRICARE deductibles apply
- Full reimbursement of the TRICARE Standard/Extra Outpatient Deductible and 50% reimbursement of the POS deductible
- Full reimbursement of the TRICARE cost shares
- Full reimbursement of the excess charge benefit (difference between the TRICARE allowed amount and the provider's billed charge) when a nonparticipating provider is utilized
- Flexibility and freedom to see any TRICARE-authorized civilian providers
- Full portability if your enrollment with the Commonwealth of Virginia ends
- Guaranteed Issue
For more details, please see the TRICARE Supplement information on the DHRM's website.