Disability Program Summary
• Classified staff employees hired on or after January 1, 1999 are automatically enrolled in the Virginia Sickness and Disability Program(VSDP). Those hired or rehired on or after July 1, 2009 have different requirements for short-term disability benefits.
• New faculty electing the Virginia Retirement System will be enrolled in the Virginia Sickness and Disability Program(VSDP).
• Faculty in the Optional Retirement Plan are not eligible for VSDP althougth they may enroll in voluntary long-term disability insurance through UNUM.
Wage: (part-time)• Part-time employees are not eligible for disability benefits at this time.
Virginia Sickness and Disability (VSDP) Program Overview
The Virginia Retirement System (VRS) administers the Virginia Sickness & Disability Program (VSDP) in conjunction with the Department of Human Resource Management and Reed Group, a third-party vendor that specializes in disability claims management. When you join the state as a full-time or part-time salaried employee, you are automatically enrolled in the VSDP.
The VSDP provides you with income security when you cannot work because of a partial or total disability. The program includes sick, family and personal leave; short-term disability benefits; long-term disability benefits and a long-term care program. VSDP benefits cover non-work-related and work-related conditions.
The VSDP focuses on helping you make a safe return to your full duties following your disability. Return-to-work plans, such as job modifications or vocational/medical rehabilitation, may be developed in consultation with your employer and treating healthcare or medical professional to assist in your recovery and return to your regular schedule.
Questions about your benefits and the claim process
The VSDP Handbook is your resource for information about the services and benefits of the Virginia Sickness and Disability Program. If you think you may qualify for benefits, talk with your supervisor and your benefits administrator as soon as possible to be sure you understand your responsibilities and eligibility for benefits and to go over any questions you may have about initiating a claim.
How to Initiate a Claim
Employees hired or rehired on or after July 1, 2009 have a one year waiting period from their date of hire before being eligible for short-term disability benefits. Once you have met the one year waiting period OR if you were a Mason employee as of June 30, 2009,you may initiate a claim on the eighth day of your disability or as soon as you know you will be out for a medical condition (such as a scheduled surgery or childbirth). Family members and friends may initiate a claim on your behalf if you are unable to do so.
Call Reed Group toll free at 1-877-928-7021. Have the following information ready when you call:
- Job title and agency
- Social Security number
- Date of birth
- Current mailing address
- Brief description of disability for which you are initiating a claim
- Last day you were (or will be) able to work
- Name, address, phone number and fax number of your doctor or other licensed treating healthcare professional
Please contact the Benefits team with any additional questions: