Frequently Asked Questions - Death of Mason Employee
A family member or beneficiary should notify the deceased employee's supervisor or department. The supervisor or department should in turn notify Human Resources and the Payroll Office. University offices are responsible for the following in the event of the death of an employee:
- The employee's supervisor or department notifies Human Resources & Payroll at (703) 993-2600.
- The Payroll Office issues to the employee's estate any pay checks that are still due the deceased employee. The Payroll Office will also issue the W-2 form for the employee's earnings during the calendar year in which he/she died. This will be issued in January of the following calendar year.
- If the deceased employee received Commonwealth of Virginia benefits, the Benefits Office assists the family or beneficiary in the completion of forms for life insurance, health insurance, and retirement contributions. The Benefits Office will also work with the department to offer grief resources.
- The Human Resource Department will:
- Notify the Office of the President
- Notify the Office of Communications and Marketing
- Notify the Associate Vice President and Controller to send a floral spray or charitable donation, as determined by the family.
Beneficiaries may wish to read through After the Loss of a Loved One published by the Virginia Retirement System. This document provides information for the beneficiary of someone who died while still employed, as well as someone who had already retired through VRS. It also has a beneficiary checklist at the end of the document which reminds beneficiaries of other issues they may need to address.