Classified Orientation is held every other Tuesday (with a few exceptions for holidays) from 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. in Room 2001 of the Merten Hall building located at 4441 George Mason Boulevard, Fairfax, Virginia 22030.
The building is located at the corner of George Mason Boulevard and University Drive on Mason's Fairfax campus which is #1 on this map. If you have any trouble finding orientation, please call Human Resources and Payroll at 703-993-2600 and we will be happy to direct you.
This orientation session is mandatory for all new classified employees, both part-time and full-time. The Human Resources & Payroll Department informs new employees of their assigned orientation dates when job offers are made.
Gallup defines a strength as the ability to consistently provide near-perfect performance in a specific activity. The key to building a strength is to identify your dominant talents, then complement them by acquiring knowledge and skills pertinent to the activity. Mason is a well-being university and the vision is to create and sustain a culture of strengths across the university.
To take the StrengthsFinder assessment prior to orientation:
- Go to http://wbu.gmu.edu/strengths-academy/
- On the left side click “Access the StrengthsFinder Assessment”.
- Select “New Account"
- Complete the form using your Mason user name (email) and password
- Take the assessment
- Write down your top 5 strengths or print your strengths report.
Please bring your top 5 strengths to orientation.
Prior to new employees attending a formal orientation, supervisors should:
- Make sure the hiring paperwork is completed, which is usually done by HR. Also, new hires are instructed in their welcome letters to visit the NEW Center on or before their first day, but a reminder from their supervisor would be helpful. (Exception: If orientation is their first day at Mason, visiting the NEW Center, which opens at 8:00, may be done immediately prior to the orientation session.)
- Print a copy of the Supervisor Checklist, which provides a guide of key tasks.
- Make sure the employee knows when and where orientation will be held and provide detailed directions to the location.
- Remind the employee to bring to orientation the Benefits Packet they received at the NEW Center.
- Make sure employees complete the StrengthsFinder Assessment and bring their top 5 strengths to orientation
What happens at orientation?
New employees receive:
- Phone numbers and web addresses they are likely to use during their first months of employment
- Information about Mason's campus culture
- Introduction to StrengthsFinder
- An overview of important policies
- Information about various kinds of leave, including VSDP, Worker's Compensation, and FMLA
- Information about the State Standards of Conduct and resources available to assist employees
- A demonstration of how to complete timesheets
- An explanation of the benefits offered to employees and an opportunity to make selections
- Campus safety information
- Information on discrimination and harassment
- Information about opportunities for training and organizational development
- Resources on how to get involved: great activities, discounts, and other "Mason Extras"