The relocation page is designed to help recruit prospective candidates and assist new faculty and staff with information about Mason and the Washington, DC metropolitan area.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the work/life team by phone at 703.993.2604 or via email at email@example.com. We also invite you to visit the New Employee Welcome (NEW) Center for resources on starting your career at Mason as well as Visiting Mason for some local area links.
We're delighted to welcome you to the Mason community and northern Virginia! Follow us on Pinterest to see some of our favorite places. Do you have one you would like to share? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information on moving reimbursements that can be used for relocation (under certain employment contracts) is available. Please direct any questions to the Travel Office at 703.993.2580 or your department contact.
Relocation assistance is available through the moving companies with which Mason has contracts. The three contracted firms below can help new employees relocating to the area or current employees who are moving. Please mention that you are with Mason when you contact them.
Your Mason contact at Interstate:
Toll Free: 800.999.1001 ext. 3264
Website: Interstate Relocation Services
Interstate Relocation Services' Summary: "Interstate Relocation Services provides relocation solutions to government and corporate clients worldwide. We develop individualized relocation programs that result in successful relocation satisfaction through our ‘responsive, resourceful and adaptable’ service philosophy. Our offerings include: Home Marketing, Property Management, Shipment of Household Goods, Travel Assistance, Destination Orientation, Home Finding Assistance, Rental Assistance, Temporary Housing and Mortgage Assistance. Since 1943, our commitment to innovation, process management and training has resulted in our ability to meet the unique needs of each customer, and has earned the company a reputation of trust, experience and value."
Your Mason contact at Kloke Group:
Website: United/Kloke Group
Kloke Group's Summary: "As an award winning agent for United Van Lines, at the Kloke Group you will receive the resources of a multinational corporation combined with the high service levels of a family-owned business. Your dedicated move coordinator will support you through every step of the process. Whether you need assistance with finding a realtor, detailed information on destination cities, or something as simple as finding a maid service or setting up your home theatre system, our resources are unlimited. United Van Lines is the most trusted name in Corporate Relocations and we are here to tailor our services to the individual needs of our clients."
Your Mason contact at Victory Van Corporation:
Website: Victory Van Corporation
Mason is a proud member of the Mid-Atlantic Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC). The Mid-Atlantic HERC is a centralized way to learn about job openings at all its member institutions. Additional information and resources are available on their website at Mid-Atlantic HERC.
Additionally, our Work/Life office is happy to provide assistance with local job market information tailored to the interests/experience of the dual career spouse/partner.
The Work/Life office can be reached at 703.993.2604 or via email at email@example.com.
Sample of Major Employers in the Area
- Federal Government
- Largest employers in the Washington, DC area (About.com)
- Largest employers in Northern Virginia (About.com)
- List of companies headquartered in Northern Virginia (Wikipedia)
Mason Shuttles: Including complimentary service from the Vienna Metro Station to the Fairfax campus and more!
Mason Transportation: Mason participates in Zimride (ride sharing) and the Guaranteed Ride Home Program. The transportation site also has a wealth of information on other alternate transportation options.
CUE Bus: Local bus service and a partnership between Mason and the City of Fairfax.
Campus Maps (and directions)
Metro Map (Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority)
Metro Pocket Guide (Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority)
Other Regional Resources
Virginia Railway Express, New Rider Information
Washington DC Area Public Transportation Guide (About.com)
Please visit our childcare resources page for information on finding daycare, including the complimentary membership faculty, staff, and graduate students have with SelectPlus (Sittercity.com plus YearsAhead).
Titling and Registering for new residents (Maryland DMV)
Driver's Licensing for new residents (Maryland DMV)
District of Columbia
DMV for new residents (District of Columbia DMV)
As a faculty or staff member at Mason, you will have access to the work/life discount page. Once your receive your email user name and password, you can use them to log-in at myMasonHR. Select "myDiscounts" from the left-hand menu.
Here's one you can access right away - MetLife Auto and Home Discount
Masonvale: Faculty/Staff rental housing located adjacent to the Fairfax Campus. Masonvale offers 1, 2, and 3 bedroom apartments and townhomes. Although terms may vary depending upon availability, Masonvale apartments and townhomes will generally be leased up to twelve (12) months at 90-95% of market rate. Masonvale welcomes eligible employees based upon a priority system. Masonvale is managed by Lincoln Property Company and owned by Mason Housing, Inc., a separate entity from the University.
Off Campus Housing Information: One stop site for rental, sale, short-term, housing to share, or listing a property.
A sample of housing purchase and rental sites is available on the relocation/housing page.
- Bridgestreet Worldwide
- National Corporate Housing: Serving Reston, Herndon, Fairfax, McLean, Arlington, Alexandria, Maryland and
- Oakwood (Metro DC)
- Residence Inn Marriott (Fairfax City): Ask about Mason rates
- Contact Viktoriia West at 301.356.8908 or
- Rebecca Tobin at 202.365.8984
- SuiteAmerica: Ask about Mason discounts (Preferred Employer Program)
- Contact Tiffany Burkett, Relocation Coordinator
- 877.827.8483 x118 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Sample of Area Apartments
- Avalon at Providence Park (Fairfax)
- Circle Towers Apartments (Fairfax): Ask about Mason discounts (Preferred Employer Program)
- Dwell Vienna Metro (Fairfax): As about Mason discounts (Preferred Employer Program)
- RavensCrest (Manassas): Ask about Mason discounts (Preferred Employer Program)
- The Ridgewood (Fairfax): Ask about Mason discounts (Preferred Employer Program)
- Mason Recreation (Fairfax): Three state-of-the-art recreational and athletic facilities on the Fairfax campus as well as tennis courts and playing fields. Memberships available to faculty and staff at a reduced rate.
- Freedom Aquatic & Fitness Center (Prince William): a joint project of Mason, the City of Manassas, and Prince William County, the Freedom Center features two pools; a whirlpool; family locker rooms; a full gymnasium; cardio, aerobic and strength studios; racquetball courts; a child care center (while working out) and a full range of adult and youth programming.
- Arlington/Loudoun: Discounts on area fitness centers are available for all Mason faculty and staff through CommonHealth (the wellness benefit of Commonwealth of Virginia employees) and the Work/Life discount page.
- Area map (The Mason Explorer)
- Metro DC County Map (Wikipedia)
- Neighborhoods of the Washington, DC Capital Region (About.com)
- Visiting Mason
- Virginia DMV Summary for New Residents
- Virginia Free Official State Transportation Map (VDOT)
- Virginia Travel Guide (Commonwealth of Virginia Tourism)
- Arlington Convention and Visitors Services
- Arlington County Homepage
- Arlington's Urban Villages (from Carfreediet.com)
- Arlington Public Schools
- Fairfax County Tourism
- Fairfax County Visitors Guide
- Fairfax County Homepage
- Fairfax County Public Schools
- Prince William County/Manassas Convention and Visitors Bureau
- Prince William County Homepage (including Newcomers Guide)
- Prince William County Public Schools
- Neighborhood descriptions (from the Washington Post)
- Private Schools in the area (About.com)
- Washington Family Magazine
- DC Metro Magazine
Counties within commuting distance of the:
- Southern Montgomery County Homepage (MD)
Prince William Campus
Please note: George Mason University Work/Life compiles these resources and programs for use as referral only. Mason does not recommend or endorse any company or organziation listed. By providing this information, the University assumes no financial or other responsbility for any relationship established by and between any company or organization listed on this site and any other individual.