Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) Summary for New Virginia Residents
Please note: The Commonwealth's Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) visits the Mason campuses on a regular schedule through its DMV2Go program. For dates/times/locations of their visits, please see the Mason's DMV2Go 2016 schedule. For a list of services available, please see the DMV2Go website.
The summary below is designed to highlight some of the Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) issues associated with relocating to Virginia.
It is not exhaustive and we recommend that you visit the DMV site New to Virginia? for additional details.
- Drivers' License Application: Form DL 1P (within 60 days of moving here)
- Safety and Emissions Inspection (at participating service stations)
- Change to Virginia Insurance
- Virginia insurance requirements
- Title and Registration Form: VSA 17A (within 30 days of moving here after insuring and titling)
Additional information on all of the topics listed above plus details on license plates, tinted windows, voter registration, organ donation and more are available on the DMV's New to Virginia website.