Faculty and Staff Committee
Select a section below to learn more
To maintain a workplace of engaged and productive employees, where faculty and staff can thrive both professionally and personally, the mission of the Faculty & Staff Experience (FSE) Committee is to assess employee satisfaction, engagement, and well-being, promote goals and decision-making that are based in these data, and foster a strengths-based culture where engagement is key. We believe that, as research has shown, by focusing on employee engagement first, productivity and job satisfaction will follow.
- Improve faculty and staff engagement, with a focus on the value and life/work fit of our workforce through a supportive work environment.
- Gather the broadest possible input from the Mason community on employee ability to create careers that include purpose, meaning, life/work fit, and productivity, specifically through faculty and staff satisfaction, engagement, and well-being.
- Regularly report the data regarding improvement of the faculty and staff experience to university stakeholders and decision-making bodies.
- Benchmark George Mason University employee satisfaction, engagement, and well-being data to peer institutions of higher education and employers in the DC-Metro area.
The FSE Committee is convened under the authority of the Chief Human Resources Officer. Human Resources is aiding the committee in their goal to serve and strengthen the George Mason workforce.
The FSE Committee is comprised of faculty and staff from across the Mason community with a focus on identifying members that have a keen interest in improving the faculty and staff experience on campus. Members of the FSE Committee serve as: 1) ambassadors to their units/colleges/representative entities who communicate our goals and share FSE findings and 2) advocates of change to identify and implement solutions.
The FSE Committee is committed to having diverse and inclusive representation from all groups and campuses at Mason.
Committee Chair: Chief Human Resources Officer
- Each college/school
- Office of the President
- Office of the Provost
- Human Resources
- Office of Communications and Marketing
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- University Life
- Office of Sustainability
- Office of Institutional Effectiveness & Planning (OIEP)
- Faculty Senate
- Staff Senate
- Representatives from key affinity groups
- Information Technology Services
- Fiscal Services
- Other key areas as identified by the Committee Chair and current members
Subject Matter Expert Members
- Industrial/Organizational Psychology Department Faculty
- Human Resources Data Analytics & Metrics
- Human Resources Faculty/Staff Engagement
- Human Resources Organizational Development and Learning
Membership is reviewed on a 3-year rotation.
The FSE Committee will:
- Measure employee satisfaction, engagement, and well-being
- Disseminate findings to key decision-makers, team leaders, and stakeholders across the Mason community
- Advocate for and encourage senior leaders to incorporate FSE findings into their goal-setting and decision-making processes
- Provide benchmark data on employee satisfaction, engagement, and well-being against other institutions of higher education and industry markets to key decision-makers, and stakeholders across the Mason community
- Develop and assess annual goals and activities