Human Resources and Payroll




Frequently Asked Questions - Birth/Adoption of a Child



At the planning stage?

Here are some things to keep in mind as you plan to grow your family.



Are you welcoming a new child?

Welcoming a new child into your family is an exciting time, and there are many things to think about. Proper care, attention and love for this new little person as well as the rest of your family are uppermost in your thoughts. There are, however, certain business matters that you must attend to for your child. We hope this page will help you to work through those matters quickly and easily.

Apply for a social security number for your child.
Forms you complete on behalf of your child as well as your tax returns will require this number. Once you make application, it will take two to six weeks for the number to arrive.

Obtain an application form from your local Social Security Office, or download the form via this link to the Social Security Administration: (Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to download the form). Application for Social Security Card


Another interesting link, Social Security Numbers for Children, will provide explanations and reasons why this number is important in relation to your taxes.

Enroll your child in a health insurance plan.
If you wish to enroll your child in your health plan through GMU, visit EmployeeDirect within 60 days of birth or within 60 days of the final adoption date to enroll your child and ensure coverage from birth. Review the number of exemptions (withholding allowances) on your federal and/or state taxes.

If you wish to change the number of exemptions on your tax forms, you may download and print the appropriate documents here, or request the documents from the Payroll Office at 993-2600. Return the completed form(s) to the Payroll Office, MS 3C3.


Federal & State Tax Forms can be found on our payroll site.

Should you add your child as a beneficiary of your retirement plan or life insurance?
Our office cannot advise you in any way on this issue. Naming a child as a beneficiary is something you may want to discuss with your financial advisor. It is mentioned here only to provide guidelines for the proper steps to take if naming or changing a beneficiary is your intention.

  • If you are enrolled in VRS: obtain a VRS beneficiary change form from the Benefits Office or download the form from the VRS web site. When complete, return the form to the Benefits Office.
  • If you are enrolled in an Optional Retirement Plan: contact the individual company with which you are enrolled. Refer to the HR/Benefits Retirement page for addresses and links to your retirement plan.