Thank you for continuing to diligently follow the onboarding process when hiring new employees. A smooth onboarding process creates an environment where your new employees feel supported. Following each step in a timely manner gives your new employees a seamless transition and a successful start!
For your reference, we outlined reminders and guidelines on how to successfully onboard new employees:
Onboarding New Employees
- For onboarding new employees, HR & Payroll is open and accepting walk-ins to complete section 2 of the Form I-9 Monday – Friday between 8 a.m. - 4:45 p.m. The employee will need to complete section 1 of the Form I-9 by their first date of employment, and section 2 within 3 business days of their start date.
- For international employees, the employee will need to make an appointment by contacting the International Tax Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Our orientations for newly hired benefits employees will remain online through the rest of the calendar year.
Non-Benefited Employee Onboarding
In order to be sure that the employee completes all of the necessary documents and the background check prior to working here, it is very important that an onboarding packet is created prior to the employee’s start date. Please use the following guidance when creating a packet:
- If an employee has not worked at Mason, then they will need a hiring packet created.
- If an employee has a break in service (termination date) of one year or longer, they will also need a new hire packet created.
- Create the employee’s packet seven (7) to ten (10) business days before their start date.
- Set the employee’s start date at least seven (7) to ten (10) business days after the creation of the packet.
- Ensure the employee completes their packet in order to trigger the start of the background check process.
- Ensure the employee’s direct deposit and necessary tax forms have been completed prior to their first paycheck.
- Ensure that they receive the necessary information needed to upload their vaccine requirements, which is sent to the employee after starting the packet via email.
- Notify Human Resources and Payroll of any changes to the employee’s start date or if the employee will no longer fill the position.
For more information on onboarding, please review the HR Liaison Reference Guide.
- Background checks must be completed before the employee’s start date.
- Employee start dates may change if the background check is not completed before the employee’s initial start date.
- Employees with driving responsibilities are required to complete a Motor Vehicle Report – the Office of Risk Management will separately update the department or unit regarding the status.
- For more information on background checks, please visit the background check webpage.