Thank you for continuing to diligently follow the onboarding process when hiring new employees. A smooth onboarding process creates an environment where your new employees feel supported. Following each step in a timely manner gives your new employees a seamless transition and a successful start!
For your reference, below are reminders and guidelines on how to successfully onboard new employees:
Onboarding New Employees During COVID-19
- For onboarding new employees, HR & Payroll will continue to send out guidance via email on how to complete section 2 of the Form I-9 remotely.
- We will not be providing in-person New Employee Welcome (NEW) Center services at this time.
- Our orientations for new hires will remain online through the rest of the calendar year.
Non-Benefited Employee Onboarding
- Create the employee’s packet seven (7) to ten (10) business days before their start date.
- Set the employee’s start date at least seven (7) to ten (10) business days after the creation of the packet.
- Ensure the employee completes their packet in order to trigger the start of the background check process.
- Notify Human Resources and Payroll of any changes to the employee’s start date or if the employee will no longer fill the position.
- For more information on onboarding, please review the HR Liaison Reference Guide.
- Background checks must be completed before the employee’s start date.
- Employee start dates may change if the background check is not completed before the employee’s initial start date.
- Employees with driving responsibilities are required to complete a Motor Vehicle Report – the Office of Risk Management will separately update the department or unit regarding the status.
- For more information on background checks, please visit the background check webpage.
- Form I-9 Section 1 must be completed at least on or before the employee’s start date.
- The entire Form I-9 must be completed within three (3) business days after the employee’s first day of work which until further notice will be completed remotely through Central HR.