Human Resources and Payroll

Handbooks and Policies


Drug and Alcohol Procedures


A. All full time and part-time classified employees and full time faculty, instructional, administrative and research, must be informed of the University Policy on Drugs and Alcohol upon commencement of employment. Employees will be required to sign the Commonwealth's Drug and Alcohol statement which will be forwarded to the Human Resources and Payroll Department to be placed in their personnel files.

B. All part-time wage and student wage employees must be informed of the University's Drug and Alcohol Policy upon accepting employment and are required to sign the Commonwealth's Drug and Alcohol Statement. The signed statement is to be placed in the department's employee wage file.


A. The federal Drug-Free Workplace Act and Virginia State law requires that all employees be informed that the manufacture, distribution, possession, or use of alcohol or other drugs is prohibited in and unlawful in the workplace. The University's Administrative Drug and Alcohol Policy prohibits the impairment of an employee in the workplace from the use of alcohol or other drugs.

B. The workplace consists of any state-owned, controlled, or leased property, or the site where state work is performed. Any employee who violates this prohibition or violates any alcoholic beverage control law, or law which governs driving while intoxicated based on actions occurring in the workplace will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including discharge and/or will be required to satisfactorily participate in a drug abuse assistance or rehabilitation program at the discretion of management. As a condition of employment, employees must abide by the terms of this prohibition and notify their supervisor of any criminal drug statute conviction occurring in the workplace no later than five days after such conviction.


A. All members of the University community, to include faculty, staff, alumni, and their guests, are expected to comply with federal and state laws regarding the use of alcohol and University-related regulations contained in this policy.

B. Virginia state law prohibits the purchase, possession or consumption of beer, 3.2 beverages, wine or distilled spirits by persons under the age of twenty-one (21). It is also prohibited to purchase for, or to serve such beverages to a person under twenty-one (21).

C. It is illegal to operate a motor vehicle - and boat or moped - while a person has a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .08 percent or higher. For those arrested for driving on a license suspended or revoked under a prior DUI conviction, the offender's car is immediately impounded for 30 days. The court can impound the vehicle for an additional 90 days following conviction. If the car does not belong to the offender, the car owner may petition the court for release of the vehicle. A driver's license will automatically be revoked for 7 days if you refuse a breath test or if your BAC is .08% or higher. You no longer have the option of requesting a blood test instead of a breath test for an alcohol-related offense. Sobriety spot-checks to detect drunken drivers are legal.

D. Possession, use, sale or distribution of controlled substances, including marijuana, is a violation of both federal and state laws and University regulations. The 1988 federal Drug-Free Workplace Act also prohibits the unlawful manufacture, distribution, possession, or use of a controlled substance in the workplace.

E. Faculty, staff and sponsoring organizations found in violation of state and/or University regulations may be subject to disciplinary action, civil action, and/or loss of the privilege to reserve or use University facilities.


A. University regulations prohibit the possession or consumption of any alcoholic beverage on University ground unless the University has sanctioned the location and/or conditions for possession or consumption (e.g. Bistro, Crossroads).

B Alcohol consumed in licensed facilities must be purchased and consumed within the area designed for the event.

C. For events occurring in either Student Union or the Johnson Center, the University Dining Service holds the Alcohol Beverage Control Board License for beer and wine. The beer or wine must be sold by the University Dining Service. A cover charge may not be imposed for alcohol.

D. Attendance at University-sponsored events where alcohol is being served is limited to George Mason University students, faculty, staff, and their invited guests. Guests should be registered by the sponsor. Guests of University community members are subject to the same regulations as their host while on campus, such as complying with legal drinking laws and the use of legal ID's. Hosts are responsible for the conduct of their guests.

E. When alcoholic beverages are present at an event, non-alcoholic beverages must be available in sufficient quantity and at a price equal to or less than that of the alcoholic beverage. It is recommended that food also be available. Alcohol cannot be served at events that occur during standard work hours.

F. State funds (including University and student fees) may not be used to purchase alcohol.

G. Regardless of whether alcohol is served, advertising may make no reference in written or picture form to alcoholic beverages. This includes official University events held on or off campus.