Investment Policy Committee (IPC)
The Investment Policy Committee (IPC) advises and assists the Senior Vice President (SVP) in monitoring the investment options for the following defined contribution retirement plans:
- Defined Contribution Retirement Plan for Faculty of George Mason University
- George Mason University Cash Match Plan
- Supplemental Defined Contribution Benefit Plan for employees of George Mason University
- George Mason University Tax-Deferred Savings Plan
- George Mason University Employer 403(b) Plan
Investment Policy Committee Members
The SVP appoints the IPC members.
|Name, Title||Unit/Department||Role||Member Since|
Senior Vice President
|Senior Vice President||University Official, Ex-Officio||2019|
|Lester L. Arnold, Vice President||Human Resources and Payroll||Chair, Ex-Officio||2019|
|Deb Dickenson, Vice President and Controller||Fiscal Services||Ex-Officio||2019|
|K. Anne Gentry, Interim University Counsel||University Counsel||Ex-Officio||2014|
|Michelle Lim, Assistant Vice President, Total Rewards||Human Resources and Payroll||Ex-Officio||2022|
|J. K. Aier, Associate Professor, Accounting||School of Business||At Large Member||2019|
|T. Mills Kelly,|
|History and Art History||At Large Member||2019|
|Jason Dunick, Associate Chair|
|Economics||At Large Member||2019|
|John Crockett, Jr.,|
|Retiree||At Large Member||2014|
|Barron (Barry) Schmitt,|
Senior VP, Financial Adviser
|CAPTRUST Financial||Investment Consultant/Advisor|
|Fran Slacum, Senior Financial Advisor/Relationship Manager||CAPTRUST Financial||Investment Consultant/Advisor|
Investment Policy Statement
The Investment Policy Statement (IPS) is designed to assist the IPC in evaluating and monitoring the investment assets under the Plans. The IPC reviews the IPS periodically to determine if modifications are needed.
- Outlines the overall structure of each plan’s investment program, the duties and responsibility of the IPC, and the general policies and procedures under which the IPC operates;
- Establishes guidelines and procedures to be followed by the IPC in performing its duties in connection with the selection of investment options under the Plans; and
- Outlines criteria and procedures that the IPC will use in reporting the performance of the investment options offered under each Plan and to evaluate whether the respective investment policies of the investment options are consistent with the goals of the Plans.
You can read the Investment Policy Statement (IPS) for more information.
The Office of the General Counsel developed the IPC Charter in 2021. The Charter outlines the purpose, powers, members, meetings, officers, term of office and duties of the IPC. The committee member appointment letter is included in the Appendices.
Complete Plan Document and Amendment
The IPC meets up to three times per calendar year. The fall meeting (annual meeting) is held for the purpose of conducting a due diligence review of the performance of Plan investments. Regular meetings are held twice a year for the purpose of transacting other business. Regular meetings are scheduled for a calendar year before the beginning of that year.
Meeting Scheduling: CapTrust, the investment advisor, works with Vicki McGough to schedule meetings. Vicki schedules the meetings and confirms the availability of Committee members.
Meeting Materials: CapTrust emails materials in advance of the scheduled meetings. Vicki McGough emails the meeting materials to Committee members prior to the meeting.
The Benefits Director works with CapTrust on any items requiring follow-up after the meeting