Background investigations are conducted through Truescreen. For more information, view Truescreen Consumer Care Information (email@example.com).
As a condition of hire, Mason requires a background investigation for all employees
Employees cannot begin work until the background check has been successfully completed. University background investigations are completed through our vendor, Truescreen, and costs are covered by central funds.
Once an applicant has received a contingent offer, the Human Resources and Payroll office will use the electronic background investigation system to send the finalist an email to provide authorization and any necessary information needed to complete the request (including but not limited to social security number, birth date, past convictions and current/past addresses). Truescreen has an average turnaround time of 1.8 days beginning from their receipt of information. The background check process is outlined below.
Once the investigation is complete, HR and Payroll will review the results. If the background check is completed successfully, the department contact will receive an email notification. If the background investigation results indicate a potential problem or need further review, the individual will be contacted first. Then, if necessary, the hiring manager will be contacted to work with the Employee Relations department to determine the best course of action. In general, less than 3% of background investigation results are cause for concern.
Special rules apply to specific positions
Mason employees working in the Biomedical Research Laboratory, University Police, and for those employees who are involved in Programs, Events, and Camps that include minors (a coordinator form is required for events with minors). Specific information related to these categories are detailed in the policy’s procedures.
Current employees who are convicted of a crime, except traffic violations, have five (5) business days to inform Human Resources and Payroll.
Additional information can be found in University Policy 2221 or by connecting with Human Resources and Payroll via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 703.993.4401.
Background Checks are Initiated through the Mason Onboard Process
- Requests for new and rehired employees are initiated through the Mason Onboard process.
- An email from our vendor is automatically sent to the applicant shortly after they complete the Personal Information page in the Mason OnBoard packet.
- Please allow 24 hours (not including weekends) to receive your email.
- If an employee has technical issues with their request, please have them contact the vendor using their Consumer Care Hotline number.
- Requests are sent to the email address the applicant provides during the hiring/onboarding process. Once the email is sent, the applicant has five (5) days to initiate the request (before employment begins).
- Minors (under the age of 18) must complete a Minor's Authorization Form before starting the background check process. Please return completed forms to email@example.com.
- If the background check is not initiated in a timely manner (within 5 days of receiving the request), the department may be contacted for assistance with follow up. Delinquent requests may result in a delayed start date or termination.
- Truescreen (firstname.lastname@example.org) will send packet creators a generic email when a background check is complete. The email will include the employee’s name in the subject line. When this email is received, the background check requirement for the employee has been met. Please note: The link provided in the email is inactive. You will not have access to the results. For status updates on a background check, please email email@example.com.
Types of Background Checks
- All employees must receive a standard background check request (Basic).
- If the responsibilities for the position require additional requests, one of the following packages can be included.
- Select the Motor Vehicle background check (Basic + Motor Vehicle) for positions with driving responsibility for the University. Examples of departments that may need this for their positions are: Facilities, Athletics, Admissions, Housing, Events, and Freedom Center.
- Select the Financial background check (Basic + Financial) for positions with financial responsibility for the University. Examples include those with access to significant levels of cash or negotiable securities, including direct access to or control over cash, checks, credit card account information (includes cash handling or credit card acceptance positions) and/or those with significant responsibility for the execution or approval of financial transactions (e. g. payroll, cash office).Some positions may require all three checks (Basic + Financial + Motor Vehicle).
- For guidance on whether your position needs an additional check, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
In such cases, please send the following information to email@example.com:
- Employee/Applicant First Name:
- Employee/Applicant Last Name:
- Employee/Applicant Email Address:
- Hiring Manager/Supervisor:
- Start Date:
- Position Number and Title:
- Background Check Needed: (Basic, Basic + Financial, Basic + Motor Vehicle, Basic + Financial + Motor Vehicle)
Once received, we will review our systems to determine if a new background check is needed for the employee/applicant. If other exceptions occur, please contact us to ensure the background check for the employee/applicant is current.
For information regarding working with minors, please consult University Policy #1138.
Programs, Events, and Camps with Minors Dynamic Form