Welcome to the Benefits homepage! Please refer to the links on the left side or the tabs above to discover more about all of the benefits provided to employees at George Mason University.
If you have any questions, would like more specific information about employee benefits, or would like to schedule an appointment to discuss your benefits in greater detail, please call (703) 993-2600 and ask to speak to a member of our Benefits Team.
University Hall, 4th floor, 4441 George Mason Boulevard.
Happening Now ....
Posted November 1 2016
IRS Limits for 2017
Posted October 27 2016
UNUM Long Term Disability Open Enrollment Starts November 1
Posted October 7 2016
Exciting Pilot Opportunity: Helping Faculty/Staff Manage Student Loan Debt
1. As a qualified public-service employer, Mason’s salaried faculty and staff who work 30 or more hours per week* may be eligible to participate in the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program. Representatives from Fidelity will be on campus on November 1 from 12-1pm to present on the PSLF. The session will be videoconferenced to Arlington and SciTech. If a faculty or staff member (or one of their family members) has federal student debt, they may find this session informative. Faculty and staff may register for the session at http://hr.gmu.edu/learning/hr.php.
10/26/16 - NEW! Due to the popularity of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) seminar, a second session has been added. Fidelity representatives will be presenting on the PSLF again on Wednesday, November 2 from 12-1 (Fairfax only). Please register at http://hr.gmu.edu/learning/hr.php.
(*Salaried means benefited employees. That said, the federal PSLF program has a very specific definition of employee eligibility. There could be limited cases for other types of Mason employees to be eligible. Eligibility is defined by the PSLF program on its Employment Certification Form.)
2. Additionally, beginning October 10 and running through November 14, Fidelity is also piloting a new Student Debt Tool website for ALL faculty and staff. This beta site is being made available to a limited number of organizations; Mason is one of only two public universities participating in the pilot. The Mason specific-site, located at http://go.Fidelity.com/GMU, is designed to assist faculty and staff understand their current loans, explore federal and private repayment options, and take action to optimize student loan repayment. Additional information on the beta Student Debt Tool can be found on the Fidelity Flyer.
Those who test out the Student Debt Tool will be able to provide online feedback regarding the site and, if they prefer, be interviewed personally by Fidelity representatives.
• This is a voluntary program for all faculty and staff to participate in this pilot project to gain insights into managing student debt; there are no sales involved and faculty and staff will not be contacted by Fidelity regarding any of their other products.
• Faculty and staff do not have to be a Fidelity member to participate in either opportunity.
If you have any questions, please contact the Benefits Team at email@example.com.
Posted May 26 2016
The New Fiscal Year is Coming: Your First Check May Have Some Changes
2. Flexible Spending Account Reminder: A reminder for those who have a dependent care or a medical Flexible Spending Account (FSA). The plan year ends on June 30, 2016. You must incur your eligible expenses by June 30th in order to be reimbursed by Anthem. While your eligible expenses must be incurred by the end of the current plan year, you have until September 30, 2016 to submit the expenses for reimbursement. Please note that if you do not use all of the funds in your FSA by the end of the plan year and submit the expenses by September 30, 2016, you will forfeit the remaining funds. Expenses charged on your card July 1 or later go toward the new benefit year.
If you have any questions regarding deduction changes effective on 7/1/16 or FSAs, please contact the HR & Payroll Customer Service Center at 3.2600 and ask to speak to a member of the Benefits Team.
Posted February 10 2016
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) and Taxes
Human Resources and Payroll Benefits Disclaimer
Disclaimer: The Commonwealth of Virginia and George Mason University reserve the right to terminate, suspend, withdraw, amend or modify the benefits plan in whole or in part at any time. Further, The Commonwealth and the University reserve the right to terminate or modify coverage for any group of employees, active or retired and their dependents or a class of dependents at any time.